Insulating slippers have shocked hospital

KARLSKRONA, Sweden, April 18 (UPI) -- A hospital in Sweden has banned workers from wearing Crocs slippers after learning the popular footwear can build up static electricity.
After officials at the Blekinge Hospital in Karlkrona determined the comfortable shoes built up so much static electricity they interfered with medical equipment they decided to ban the offending footwear, The Local reported Wednesday.

The fashion statement-turned-medical problem began in February when a two pieces of respiratory equipment for premature babies shut off for no discernable reason.

Eventually the machines' mysterious power outage was linked to the plastic slippers that many staff members wore on duty and the ban was suggested.

"Everybody generates static electricity. But it usually loses its charge, either by disappearing through one's shoes or elsewhere," said Bjorn Lofqvist, a spokesman for the hospital.

The Local said the slippers were found to be capable of becoming charged with a maximum electrical charge of 25,000 volts.